Japan gives money to immunization drive

A government official from Japan announced on May 15 that the Japanese government has given the Expanded Program on Immunization $1 million.

Japan has a unique system of healthcare. Healthcare services are offered by the government, which include screening examinations, prenatal care and infectious disease control. The patient is asked to pay for 30 percent of the costs while the government pays for the remaining 70 percent.

The recent step by the Japanese government in giving the Expanded Program on Immunization $1 million is another in a long line of promotion of public health.

"Despite the natural disasters that have bedevilled Japan in recent years, the country has become our development partner in the EPI interventions," Mary Kamupota, manager of the ministry of health EPI, said. "Last year they donated $4. 8 million and this year they have added another $1 million to the pot."

The vaccines bought with this money will be kept in a cold chain system, which is important for keeping the vaccines from going bad.

"We have managed to keep vaccines under good conditions as all our 63 district hospitals throughout the country have fridges and our outreach teams have cooler boxes," Kamupota said. "In the event of power outrages, the drugs are quickly transferred to the nearest health institution."