Hong Kong reports imported cholera case
The Hong Kong Center for Health Protection announced on Wednesday that the 56-year-old man developed the symptoms while still in Bangladesh on August 1. He went to the Princess Margaret Hospital on August 3 and, after being discharged, he was later admitted to the hospital's isolation ward. A bacterial culture confirmed he was infected with cholera, the Examiner reports.
The patients traveled with nine people to Dhaka, Bangladesh, between July 24 and August 3. Two of his traveling partners also developed vomiting and diarrhea since August 3 and August 4. Tests on other members of his party are pending.
CHP officials said this was the second case of cholera in Hong Kong in 2012, Examiner reports..
Cholera is caused by the Vibrio cholerae bacterium, which causes severe watery diarrhea and can lead to dehydration. If cholera is treated promptly with adequate rehydration and antibiotics in severe cases, the patient can recover quickly. If not treated, the patient can die from severe dehydration.
Hong Kong health officials recommend residents traveling abroad wash their hands before eating and after going to the bathroom, eat thoroughly cooked food or food from sealed cans and packs, and avoid cold dishes like ice cream and salad.