The World Health Organization said on Thursday that another case of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has been laboratory-confirmed in Saudi Arabia.
The Ministry of Health of Jordan said the patient is a man 25 years of age from Al Grayat City, Saudi Arabia. He became sick on April 9 and was admitted to a hospital in Saudi Arabia on April 10. The patient was released from the hospital on April 15 against medical advice, and was readmitted to a hospital on April 19 in Jordan.
The patient has underlying medical conditions and a history of travel to Abha Mecca and Jeddah. He had been in contact with camels and consumed camel milk.
Since September 2012, 254 cases of MERS-CoV have been confirmed across the globe, including 93 deaths.
WHO said member states should be diligent in surveillance for severe acute respiratory infections to prevent the spread of the illness. Prevention and control measures have been implemented to prevent the spread of the disease in healthcare facilities.
Healthcare workers have been asked to use standard precaution consistently with all patients because it can be difficult to identify patients with MERS-CoV due to mild or unusual symptoms.
WHO asked that the public and travelers should avoid contact with animals and practice good hygiene. No special screening at points of entry have been implemented.