THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016

Two new cases of measles confirmed in San Diego County

The County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency confirmed two new cases of measles on Thursday and said the public may have been exposed at four different locations.


The public may have been exposed to the illness between March 1 and March 4 at Pettit Kohn law offices, the Naval Base San Diego Commissary, Sharp Rees-Stealy Sorrento Mesa Urgent Care Center and Sharp Rees-Stealy Sorrento Mesa Primary Care, according to San Diego County News Center.


"Measles is a very contagious disease that can be spread easily by coughing, sneezing or being in the same room with an infected person," Eric McDonald, the county deputy public health officer, said, according to San Diego County News Center. "Anyone who was at any of these specific locations at these times should watch for symptoms and contact their healthcare provider by telephone first, if they show any signs of the disease."


HHSA said it is working with Navy public health officials to contact individuals known to be at the locations during exposure periods. People who have not been vaccinated should contact their healthcare provider for evaluation and preventive treatment, HHSA said, San Diego County News Center reports.


"The best way to prevent measles is by getting the measles vaccine," McDonald said, according to San Diego County News Center. "Infants under 12 months of age are at high risk of infection with measles because they would not have received first dose of vaccine yet."


The agency said both cases are linked to a previously reported resident who contracted the measles during a trip to the Philippines.