WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2016

Hong Kong CHP monitoring cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome

The Hong Kong Department of Health's Centre for Health Protection said on Tuesday that it is closely monitoring two cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome that were reported to the World Health Organization.


The two cases are in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Jordan.


"No human infection with this virus has been identified so far in Hong Kong," a spokesperson for the DH said.


The KSA case was a 54-year-old male healthcare worker who developed symptoms on Dec. 29. He had an underlying illness,was admitted to the hospital on Jan. 4 and died on Jan. 14. According to the WHO, he did not have any travel or contact history with animals or confirmed patients.


The second case was a 48-year-old male with an underlying illness. He developed symptoms on Dec. 31, was admitted to the hospital on Jan. 9 and died on Jan. 23. The patient reported receiving guests from Kuwait between Dec. 25 to Dec. 31. He did not have a history of contact with animals.


Investigations into family contacts and healthcare workers is ongoing.


There have been 180 cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome confirmed worldwide.


"The Centre for Health Protection of the DH will seek more information on the cases from the WHO and the relevant health authorities," a spokesperson for the DH said. "The CHP will stay vigilant and continue to work closely with the WHO and overseas health authorities to monitor the latest developments of this disease."