Indiana measles outbreak declared over

According to officials with the Indiana State Department of Health, a 37 day measles outbreak that spawned 14 confirmed cases across two northeast Indiana counties has officially ended.

Cheryl Munson, the public health nurse of Noble County, Ind., said the outbreak would be considered over if no new cases had been reported by last Tuesday, the Journal Gazette reports. Lab reports returned on Friday confirmed her prediction.

The testing consisted of analyzing 268 blood samples and 33 nasal specimens. Fourteen of those tested returned positive, Munson said, but none of those were new cases. The initial outbreak began on June 20 and led to 12 cases in Noble County and two cases in Lagrange County, Ind.

According to the Indiana Department of Health, the maximum time it takes for an unvaccinated person to develop measles symptoms is 21 days. Munson made her ending estimate based on that time frame because the last reported exposure was 21 days prior to last Tuesday, the Journal Gazette reports.

The outbreak began with an unvaccinated Noble County resident who contracted the respiratory disease on a mid-June international trip. Once the infected person returned, that person had close contact with other members of his community.

Due to the illness' highly contagious nature, state health officials warned in late June that other Indiana counties, including DeKalb, Kosciusko, Steuben, Whitley, Allen, Elkhart and LaGrange, could all be effected.

According to the state health department, over 95 percent of people who receive a single dose of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccines will develop immunity.